Various Artists “Hey, That’s What I Call Sludge!” Volume 1
Released: 2004, Metal Sludge
For the old timers, Sludge is life. Sludge reminds us of who we were, who we are and who we want to be. Sure, we don’t take the glam era as seriously as we once did, but we still hold a certain reverence for our past. And that is where the Sludge comes in. It keeps the past and present in balance, so to speak. That said, Sludge has finally spewed forth a compilation CD and it’s about damn time. I mean, I’ve got the shirt, the pin, etc., but I just knew it would someday come to this. Does it deliver? Fuck yeah, it does! I knew it would when I heard that Metal Skool (i.e. Danger Kitty, Metal Shop) was on board. And just like on their debut, they provide plenty of comic intros and interludes. Hell, not only does Metal Skool rock your socks, they actually have revived the golden era of comedy teams! Forget Abbot and Costello, Ratchet, Michael Diamond and Ginger are the new skool of “who’s on first?” style comedy! So yeah, all the Metal Skool stuff rules and the new song is absolutely fuckin’ brilliant (which is why this CD automatically gets a 5/5). As for the rest, much like any compilation, it’s sort of pick and choose according to your style. My tastes lie more in the realm of the old skool, so I’m lovin’ most of this comp. Sure, there are a few crappy pop-punk throwaways, but it’s bearable; there exists a skip button, after all. Personal favorites include: Tuff’s “Dear Jani Lane” (hilarious), The Supersuckers’ “Someday I Will Kill You” (includes a solo Slash would be proud to call his own), Billy Morris’ “Killingtime” (in a perfect world, this would be a hit single), Wednesday 13’s “Your Mother Sucks Cocks in Hell,” and the knock-you-on-your-ass Vain cover (“Beat the Bullet”) by a band called Killingbird. All in all, “Hey, That’s What I Call Sludge!” Volume 1 is a killer compilation worthy of your hard earned cash.
1. Metal Skool "Rainbows & Witches" (skit)
2. Pain For Pleasure "Reign In Pain"
3. Lit "No Turning Back"
4. Bowling For Soup "The Bitch Song"
5. 40 Ft. Ringo "Inside Your Head"
6. Tuff "Dear Jani Lane"
7. Drill 187 "187"
8. The Wildhearts "You've Got To Get Through..."
9. The Thornbirds "Elephants & Tangerines"
10. Supersuckers "Someday I Will Kill You"
11. Metal Skool "LSD" (skit)
12. Jizzy Pearl "Do You Wanna Get High?"
13. The Brightness "Diamond's Are A Boy's Best Friend"
14. London Calling "Chasing The Satellites"
15. Killingbird "Beat The Bullet"
16. Firehouse "Crash"
17. Metal Skool "Making Up" (skit)
18. Funny Money "Good Boy Gone Bad"
19. Glory Hole U.K. "Misery"
20. Billy Morris "Killingtime"
21. Wednesday 13 "Your Mother Sucks Cocks In Hell"
22. Kevin DuBrow & Little Women - 1990 "I Can't Resist You"
23. Metal Skool "Heavy Shit" (skit)
24. Metal Skool "Death To All But Metal"