Eagle Rock Entertainment, the same label that brought us the star studded "We Wish You A Metal X-Mas" album, has compiled another compilation of today's hard rock and heavy metal all stars for the recently released SIN-ATRA album, a collection of Frank Sinatra songs reworked into decibel raising tribute pieces.
I had expected all of the notable artists taking part in SIN-ATRA to be lending there respected pipes and prowess over easy listening Las Vegas lounge muzak. I could not have been more mistaken. What we have here is complete reworkings of Mr. Sinatra's classic crooning, restructured to create hard rocking covers of the songs that made him a household name, an icon if you will. You'll hear Queensryche's Geoff Tate knock 'em dead with "Summer Wind" not to mention Twisted Sister's Dee Snider Zeppelin-esque "It Was A Very Good Year" and of course the ever ready, hitman for hire that is Ripper Owens performing "Witchcraft" and that is just side one!
I really cannot claim to be any kind of expert on the life and times of the legendary Frank Sinatra, but it is extremely intriguing, even with a passing interest, to hear some of your metal favorites transform these songs into unique, hard hitting interpretations that would most likely have Frankie boy rolling in his grave. It is worth noting that a certain singer who has been met with a recent string of bad luck due to substance abuse and self destruction, really shines and in a way, briefly redeems himself as a vocalist with his rendition of "That's Life". Of course, I am referring to ex-Warrant lead screamer Jani Lane, we're all rooting for you buddy! Hang in there, You stole the show, by the way!
Whether you are a fan of Sinatra or the musicians that take part in this release, almost anyone should be familiar enough with the tunes on tap to find some fast and easy entertainment on hand. I am really not sure how many repeated listens a venture like this should warrant, but the shock and awe on your parents face when they hear you cranking this release is worth the price of admission alone.
1. New York, New York (Featuring Devin Townsend)
2. I've Got You Under My Skin (Featuring Glenn Hughes)
3. Summer Wind (Featuring Geoff Tate)
4. It Was A Very Good Year (Featuring Dee Snider)
5. Witchcraft (Featuring Tim Ripper Owens)
6. Fly Me To The Moon (Featuring Robin Zander)
7. The Lady Is A Tramp (Featuring Eric Martin)
8. Strangers In The Night (Featuring Joey Belladonna)
9. High Hopes (Featuring Frankie Perez)
10. I've Got The World On A String (Featuring Dug Pinnick)
11. Love and Marriage (Featuring Elias Soriano)
12. That's Life (Featuring Jani Lane and Ritchie Kotzen)