Featured Events

Steelfest 2016
Brutal Assault 2016
Stonehenge Indoor 2016

Share |

Other swag here
metal rules swag

May 2015
Released: 2015, Nuclear Blast Records
Rating: 4.0/5
Reviewer: Carla (Guest reviewer Denmark/Romania)

Have you noticed that Korpiklaani used to release a new album almost every year but since the, let’s say – not so well perceived – “Manala”, they took their time with the new opus.

After 3 years, Korpiklaani delivers NOITA . NOITA is Finish for ‘witch’ but the meaning is closer to ‘witch-doctor’ or ‘shaman’. For those that are not crazy pants about Korpiklaani and Jonne’s beliefs / preferences, the clan of the wilderness started out as Shamaani Duo, a sami folk music group started by the one and only Jonne, who right now is working on a solo project – returning to its roots.

NOITA is 30% the Korpiklaani we all know and love to dance at a drinking party, and the rest 70% is more related to Jonne’s mantra. Don’t get me wrong, we still have the recognizable elements, with the violin and accordion playing an important part in the band’s sound, but there’s also another side to it.

“Viinamäen Mies” is the opening track and sets the beat of the first part of the album – very energetic and ‘playful’. “Pilli Om Pajusta Tehty” keeps up the tempo of the first tune, making it impossible to stand still – a really infectious melody. “Lempo” has a more calm, reflective tone, see my Shamaani reference. “Luontoni” and “Sen Verran Minäkin Noita” pulls back on the folk sound, giving some space for the guitars to be in the center of attention.

All in all, NOITA is a strong ‘back-to-basics’ album, and when listening to it, you can be whatever you want to be, a drunk at a party or a spiritual healer somewhere in the woods. Korpiklaani delivered a good album where the changes of dynamics are matching together extremely well.
Track Listing

Viinamäen Mies
Pilli On Pajusta Tehty
Minä Näin Vedessä Neidon
Jouni Jouni
Kylästä Keväinen Kehto
Sen Verran Minäkin Noita


Matson Drums
Cane Guitars
Jonne Järvelä Vocals, Guitars, Hurdy Gurdy, Percussion
Jarkko Aaltonen Bass
Tuomas Rounakari Violin
Sami Perttula Accordion

Next review: » Korpiklaani - Spirit of the Forest
Previous review: » Korpiklaani - Manala

Home | About | Staff | Advertise With Us | Staff Openings | Donations

Content is © 2009-2012 All Rights Reserved.
Graphics by Hammerblaze studio.