Other swag here
Next review: » Envenomed - Evil Unseen
Covered In Gold
Released: 2014, Dead Line
Reviewer: Celtic Bob
This month I have covered former Enuff Z’Nuff vocalist Donnie Vie’s solo album GOODBYE ENOUGH Z’NUFF and here is his former band’s newest release COVERED IN GOLD which is a covers CD. Neither Donnie nor his former band have chosen to give us new music this year but instead have taken the somewhat easier way out with an acoustic live album (Vie) and this covers disc.
Enuff Z’Nuff have issued a full on electric album that is all cover songs with new vocalist Johnny Monaco who stepped up to the mic when Donnie Vie parted with the band the first time and again this this time. Monaco’s vocals are similar to Vie’s just a little bit smoother and less raspy. For someone who is only slightly familiar with the band may not notice the difference. At times I wasn’t too sure, it’s that close.
An eclectic choice of covers that spans several genres from Classic Rock to Grunge to Soul/R&B to a 70’s TV Show Theme Song. This is one interesting album. Before I put the CD in my player I looked at the tracklist and said to myself, “WTF??”. I could not see how a Prince song could go next to a song by The Beatles or a David Lee Roth track next to Lennon. After listening to it, it works. They never really changed the songs too much but just enough to make them all work next to one another. The biggest change was the Smokey Robinson track making it more Rock. This change made the song unrecognizable to me. I had to go and play the original to compare it. Major difference. For the most part the others are straight up cover tunes.
An interesting collection of music for all Z’Nuff fans. Hopefully this is just something the band did for fun to tie fans over until a new studio album is finished.
1. Everything Works If You Let It (Cheap Trick cover)
2. Stone Cold Crazy (Queen cover)
3. She Sells Sanctuary (The Cult cover)
4. All Apologies (Nirvana cover)
5. Believe It Or Not (The Greatest American Hero theme)
6. The Jean Genie (David Bowie cover)
7. Run For Your Life (The Beatles cover)
8. When Doves Cry (Prince cover)
9. Tears Of A Clown (Smokey Robinson & The Miracles cover)
10. The Stroke (Billy Squier cover)
11. Yankee Rose (David Lee Roth cover)
12. Jealous Guy (John Lennon cover)
13. You’ve Got To Hide Your Love Away (Live on Howard Stern)
14. New Thing (Live Unplugged In London)
Previous review: » Enuff Z' Nuff - Tonight Sold Out