SLAYER HAS COPIED W.A.S.P. FOR THEIR ENTIRE CAREER.
THE TOP TEN.
Over the years I have spent (wasted?) lots of time looking at album covers and comparing bands that I enjoy. I noticed a distinct pattern of W.A.S.P doing something and then later Slayer doing something extremely similar. Coincidence or rip-off? Let’s examine the evidence. Enjoy this feature. PS. Please read my disclaimer below…
1. Members of Slayer grew up watching W.A.S.P in the late 70’s and early 80’s. Both bands are from L.A. as W.A.S.P. and their earlier incarnation Sister were regulars on the club scene. This was the origin of Slayer worshiping W.A.S.P. that continues to this day. Slayer eventually would open for W.A.S.P back in the 80’s as well.
2. In the 70’s Sister/W.A.S.P. used an upside-down pentagram logo.
Then Slayer started using an upside-down pentagram logo.
3. W.A.S.P used to stage the torture killing of a female.
Then Slayer used to stage the torture killing of a female.
4. Blackie Lawless started using huge arm-spikes.
Then Kerry King started using huge arm-spikes.
5. In the very early 80’s W.A.S.P had a song called ‘Show No Mercy’.
Slayer named their first album ‘Show No Mercy’
6. In the early’s 80’s W.A.S..P had a demo song called ‘Tormentor’ which they played live.
Then in 1983 Slayer had a song called ‘Tormentor’ on their debut album.
7. In 1987, W.A.S.P issues a special edition ‘blood pack’ of I DON’T NEED NO DOCTOR.
In 1990, Slayer issues a special edition ‘blood pack’ of SEASONS IN THE ABYSS.
8. In 1989, WA.S.P. issues an album (THE HEADLESS CHILDREN) that has a giant skull with stuff coming out of it’s mouth.
In 1990 Slayer issues an album (SEASONS IN THE ABYSS) that has a giant skull with stuff coming out of it’s mouth.
9. In 1991, W.A.S.P. issues an album (THE CRIMSON IDOL) that has an crucified, Christ-like figure on the cover.
In 2006, Slayer issues an album (CHRIST ILLUSION) that has a crucified Christ-like figure on the cover.
10. In 2001, WA.S.P. issues an album (UNHOLY TERROR) that has a desecrated bible on the front cover.
Later that year Slayer issues an album (GOD HATES US ALL) that has a desecrated bible on the front cover.
Please note: This article is intended for amusement only. I hope Slayer doesn’t ever read this, they will kick my ass!! For the record, I actually don’t think that Kerry King is sending out spies or sneaking around and peeking in the studio window to see what Blackie Lawless is doing. He couldn’t care less, I imagine. In fact, I met Kerry once and he literally gave me the shirt off his back after a Slayer gig back in 2002. I still have it as a cherished memento of that gig. I enjoy both bands and just happen to notice a few coincidences. Do I think Slayer copies W.A.S.P.? No. Why the inflammatory title? As Tom Araya once said, ‘It’s a great fucking title isn’t it? Thanks for reading.