Best of 2010 – Marko Syrjala
1. RATT: INFESTATION
2. ACCEPT – BLOOD OF THE NATIONS
3. MOTÖRHEAD: THE WÖRLD IS YOURS
4. AIRBOURNE: NO GUTS.GLORY
5. SCORPIONS: STING IN THE TAIL
6. SLASH: SLASH
7. BLACK LABEL SOCIETY: ORDER OF THE BLACK
8. HELLOWEEN: SEVEN SINNERS
9. BUCKCHERRY: ALL NIGHT LONG
10. HARDCORE SUPERSTAR: SLIP YOUR LIP
11. HALFORD: MADE OF METAL
12. KROKUS: HOODOO
13. DANZIG: DETH RED SABAOTH
14. AVANTASIA: WICKED SYMPHONY & ANGEL OF BABYLON
15. STONE SOUR: AUDIO SECRECY
16. IRON MAIDEN: FINAL FRONTIER
17. KEEL: STREETS OF ROCK’N ROLL
18. Y&T :FACEMELTER
19. OZZY OSBOURNE: SCREAM
20. PRETTY MAIDS: PANDENOMIUM
BEST NEW BAND
THE DAMNED THINGS
ALICE COOPER: THEATRE OF DEATH
MEGADETH: RUST IN PEACE LIVE
ANNIHILATOR: LIVE AT MASTERS OF ROCK
DISCOVERY OF THE YEAR
Stone Sour. I didn’t listen to Stone Sour before but after seeing their triumphant performance in Swedenrock, I became a fan instantly. What a great band!
CONCERT OF THE YEAR
KISS: SONIC BOOM OVER EUROPE –tour
SWEDENROCK 2010: w/ AEROSMITH, GUNS’ROSES, BILLY IDOL, CINDERELLA, WASP, SLAYER, DANZIG, STONE SOUR, PRETTY MAIDS, USO, ANVIL, RAVEN, STEEL PANTHER, UNISONIC, JORN, TREAT, MSG, GARY MOORE etc…
SONISPHERE, PORI, FINLAND: w/ IRON MAIDEN, ANTHRAX, ALICE COOPER, ALICE IN CHAINS, IGGY POP, SLAYER, THE CULT and HIM
ALBUM DISAPPOINTMENTS OF THE YEAR:
1. Ozzy Osbourne: SCREAM
Although Mr.Madman hasn’t released a decent album since 1995 OZZMOSIS it was still both sad and frustrating to hear another weak release from him. The songs are weak and the production sounds horrible. It’s somehow understandable that album does try sound modern but as a result it sounds anything else but Ozzy Osbourne. With only one great track, “Let Me Hear You Scream”, this one goes directly into Ozzy’s weakest album to date… or perhaps not? Maybe this one and DOWN TO EARTH can share that dubious honor?
2. IRON MAIDEN: The Final Frontier
It’s strange to notice now that when Iron Maiden’s reunion album BRAVE NEW WORLD was released back in 2000 it was some kind of disappointment compared to all those expectations what I had back then. DANCE OF DEATH was even more disappointing and although A MATTER OF LIFE AND DEATH certainly has its moments it’s still not a great album though, as a whole. There are definitely some good tracks on THE FINAL FRONTIER like “El Dorado” and “When the Wind Blows” but that’s not enough when we’re talking about fucking Iron Maiden album here. All in all, now afterwards, it must be said that BRAVE NEW WORLD is a true masterpiece compared to any of its successors. This is the fourth Kevin Shirley produced Maiden album and I really hope it’s going to be his last with the band. To be honest, it’s almost unbelievable how band of this level can release such an album with such a scrappy sound. Hopefully this won’t let be the very last Maiden studio release. Otherwise it will leave a little poor impression behind of this legendary band.
3. ANNIHILATOR: ANNIHILATOR
Annihilator has been musically lost for years and this latest self titled opus doesn’t make any exception here. Although it’s a way better that its predecessor METAL it’s still just a complication of bland songs with some great riffs and parts every here and there. Waters is still the man on guitar, there’s no doubt about it, but for some reason he has lost his ability to write decent albums since a brilliant WAKING THE FURY which was released already in 2002. Time for some changes maybe?
GREATEST HOPES FOR 2011
1. New studio albums of KISS, Whitesnake and Alice Cooper. Need to say more? There are never enough releases from the classic bands like these?
2. Anthrax. Perhaps they will finally their new album to get released? It’s been under works over six years already… Although there’s plenty of time to beat Axl’s record in here…
3. Amazing festivals and tours coming… Sonisphere w/ Big Four, Swedenrock and a brand new European KISS tour on the summer. Sounds amazing!